Many older adults don’t consider downsizing an option until they are in a position in which they either need full-time support or can no longer manage the upkeep of their home. While downsizing can bring to mind stressful thoughts about decluttering, packing, moving hassles, selling your home – not to mention the nostalgia of leaving behind a house full of memories – seniors can experience life-changing benefits by moving to a senior living community before it becomes a necessity.
Some seniors think that moving to a senior living community will limit their space and their options. According to Diane Reier, Lifestyle Specialist at Aspired Living® of Prospect Heights, a senior living community in Prospect Heights, IL, this is far from the truth. “A leading senior living community grants seniors the type of relaxing and supportive lifestyle they deserve,” says Reier, “without the worries and hassles of homeownership. When it comes to downsizing, the benefits far outweigh the concerns about moving.”
Life-Changing Benefits of Downsizing
For seniors looking to downsize to a more manageable retirement lifestyle, a move to a senior living community is an ideal way to rightsize your home. While the process of moving out of the family home can be bittersweet, downsizing presents new possibilities for worry-free living with the support needed to maintain as much independence as possible..
According to an article from American Senior Communities, “The Joys of Downsizing Your Home,” those who make the move to senior living ultimately trade the time, money, energy and stress spent on maintaining their home for the ease, security, social engagement and free time that comes with a community lifestyle.
Consider some of the benefits seniors enjoy when they release the burdens of homeownership and switch to a carefree, senior living lifestyle:
- Manageable Space – If you’re living on your own or with your spouse, chances are you don’t need as much space as you did while raising a family. Downsizing to a smaller home makes it much easier to manage your space. Rather than keeping up with (and paying to heat) empty rooms, spend your energy on a space that’s just right for you.
- No More Maintenance – Keeping up on household chores or paying for yard work and seasonal maintenance can be overwhelming and expensive. As we get older, these tasks end up taking more time or simply become too difficult or dangerous to manage. At a senior living community, you don’t have to spend your time doing chores. Housekeeping, maintenance and even transportation are often included.
- Financial Benefits – Along with homeownership come the financial burdens of taxes and home repairs. Major repairs and home emergencies (when the furnace stops working or the roof starts to leak) could cost you thousands of dollars. Even small repairs add up. At a senior living community, you no longer have to worry about pricey replacements or other uncertain financial expenses. Without the burdens of paying for repairs or property tax, you can put your home equity to good use.
- Security – In a community setting, you no longer have to worry about your safety. Gone are the days of worrying about a break-in or an inclement weather crisis stranding you away from necessities. Plus, communities are usually equipped with emergency call systems, in case you should ever experience a health emergency.
- Less Stress – All of these downsizing benefits inevitably lead to less overall stress for you! A new, smaller home will be easier to keep clean and organized, and someone else will be taking care of maintenance jobs. You can stop worrying about things that take away your time, energy, money and even health, and start enjoying some peace of mind.
- More Time & Freedom – When you downsize your home, you’ll regain the free time lost on homeowner responsibilities and be able to spend it on the things you love. Feel like spending the day finishing that novel? Go ahead – you don’t have to cook or clean. Want to go away for an impromptu trip? Your home is safe and secure within your community.
- Social Engagement – Maybe your nest is empty, kids and grandkids live out of town, or friends have moved away. It’s natural that your social circle might have shrunk in size over the years. At senior living community, social interaction and involvement is effortless and accessible. With special programming, clubs and day trips, there’s always something fun to do. It’s easy to make new friends and meet people with similar interests. Plus, friends and neighbors are always close by to grab lunch, see a movie or just sit and chat.
- The Chance to Start Fresh – Downsizing and moving to a new, easier-to-manage community home can give you the chance to begin a new chapter in life. It can be a catalyst for changes for the better! Rather than viewing the move as a compaction of your life, be encouraged to view it instead as making yourself available to new possibilities.
Are You Ready to Make the Move?
If the thought of downsizing has been troubling you, we hope we’ve giving you some reasons to look forward to making the big move. For more information or guidance about downsizing your home or what to expect from a senior living lifestyle, we encourage you to reach out to us at Aspired Living®.
“We’re always happy to help seniors find the best options for their desired retirement lifestyle,” says Reier. “Whether you’re curious about our community or senior living in general, our friendly team can answer your questions and share advice on making the move.”
We Would Love to Hear from You!
If you have comments or questions about our blog, we’d love to hear from you. We also welcome you to read our recent blog articles on current caregiver and memory care topics.
Live Well. Age Well. Be Well.
Offering Independent, Assisted Living and A Knew Day Memory Support, Aspired Living® of Prospect Heights is a distinctive senior living community designed to offer seniors residing in the Chicago Northwest Suburbs area a fresh alternative to “typical” senior living communities.
Aspired Living® of Prospect Heights provides residents with the ideal balance of personalized support, dignified privacy and enhanced independence complemented by luxurious amenities and our life-enriching, award-winning VIVA!SM programming by Pathway to Living®.
Managed by Pathway to Living®, an innovator in senior living, Aspired Living® offers the choice of a private studio or a one- or two-bedroom apartment and the beauty of a brand new community, stunningly appointed and decorated for unsurpassed comfort and style by the award-winning senior living design firm, Thoma-Holec Design, Inc.
For more information, please call Diane or Janette, Lifestyle Specialists, at 847-243-6920.
Disclaimer: The articles and tip sheets on this website are offered by Aspired Living® of Prospect Heights for general informational and educational purposes and do not constitute legal or medical advice. For legal or medical advice, please contact your attorney or physician.